In this 1892 woodblock printed bird's-eye view of Ise Jingū (伊勢神宮), the most important shrine in the Shintō shrine hierarchy, we see pilgrims arriving by foot, by jinrickisha, and by wagon. As discussed below, a network of travel agents (pilgrimage oshi), accommodations and entertainments existed to help pilgrims arrive and enjoy their visit. Printed guidebooks, route maps and various ephemera were printed and published to support the traveler.
In this map, similar to so many other shrine maps published each year, the important shrines, gates, fences (tamagaki), and landmarks in the massive Ise shrine complex and nearby areas are shown and named in the yellow and red rectangular cartouches. Being hastily and cheaply produced, it is difficult to read many of over forty identifying yellow and red cartouches. The right half of the print shows shrines and landmarks within Naikū (内宮), the Inner Shrine, official name Kōtai Jingū (皇大神宮), dedicated to the sun goddess Amaterasu Ōmikami, and the left half of the print shows shrines and landmarks within Gekū (外宮), the Outer Shrine, official name Toyouke Daijingū (豊受大神宮), dedicated to the goddess of grain Toyouke Okami who offers sacred food to Amaterasu. In the foreground we see the long Miyagawa Bridge (宮川橋), crowded with pilgrims, leading from Yamada Town to the shrine precincts. Pictured in the center of the print is the sacred Uji Bridge (宇治橋) over the Isuzugawa River (五十鈴川), leading to Naikū, the inner sanctum of Ise Jingū. Crossing the Uji Bridge took pilgrims from the the secular to the sacred world.
The Rising Sun (a symbol of Amaterasu), Mount Fuji, the famous Wedded Rocks of Meotoiwa in Futamiura (二見浦) and the Hinjitsukan (賓日館), built in 1887 as a rest house for important visitors to the Grand Shrine of Ise, are seen in the distance. There is no scaling to the map and the two shrine complexes are actually a few kilometers apart and the Wedded Rocks over 10 kilometers from the Inner Shrine.
Published five years before the completion of the privately owned Sangū Railway and the opening up of Yamada Station on November 11, 1897, which "brought pilgrims into Yamada from across Japan with a speed and comfort heretofore unimaginable," it is likely that the number of pilgrims visiting was still relatively low compared to pre-Meiji times, as explained below. After the arrival of the railway, maps of Ise Jingu would invariably include a depiction of a steam train, as can be seen in the shrine maps dated 1897 or after below.
 A Social History of the Ise Shrines Divine Capital, Mark Teeuwen, John Breen, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017, p. 177.